To help clients get focused on taking action on their goals—large or small, personal or work-related—I’ve discovered a really powerful question:
What would it take for you to [add your goal here]?
Filling in The Blank
Of course, in order to answer the question, you first have to fill in the blank 😉. Here are some tips for choosing which goal to pursue.
- Pick something that’s important to you. If your goals are meaningful and important to you it will be easier to stay motivated toward taking action. When you’re working on something that’s important to you, it’s easier to stay engaged and do what’s needed to be successful.
- Determine which of your priorities is the most time sensitive. Now that you’ve created some priorities based upon what is meaningful, it’s often good to start with one that’s the most time sensitive. If your priorities don’t seem time sensitive, then ask yourself when you’d like to have the goal completed and set a deadline. Deadlines help us get focused and take action.
- Make a list. Write down your goals and then break them up into sub-lists such as Career, Family, or Health. Seeing them on paper can often help you choose where to begin.
The next thing to do is to write down my question with your objective added in and then write down your answer to the question. I use this method often, and it works!
A Real-Life Example of “What would it take?”
As a coach and perpetual student of life, I’ve learned that answering this question clearly and concisely is the first step on the path to change. Often the answers to “What would it take?” are more simple and doable than you think, making the next step obvious.
For example, I was working with a client whose goal was to eat a healthy lunchtime meal. She told me her husband usually made her lunches, which meant she was stuck with whatever foods (generally unhealthy choices) he packed.
Together we explored the question: What would it take to have healthy food for lunch each day?
She quickly discovered that all she had to do was ask her husband to pack food she liked that was also good for her. She knew that her husband was happy to support her, and she just needed to ask for what she wanted.
My client was shocked that the solution was so easy and simple, and that it worked!
Success Can Be Yours!
Spring, the season of new beginnings, is a perfect time for you to start naming and working toward your goals. This simple but powerful question can help you start achieving success and living a life you love! What would it take?
If up-leveling your time management skills is part of “what it will take” to reach your goal, consider enrolling in my Jumpstart Your Productivity home study program. This four-week course will teach you the steps to get more done now so you can create a more peaceful and productive life.
You’ll learn to:
- Immediately figure out where you are wasting time and make changes to get more done
- Create daily and weekly routines that allow you to know that the important things are just handled
- Set up and follow a consistent weekly planning process that works for you
- Use my tips to plan for success and keep your productivity going
Talk about filling in the blanks! Click the link below to start now.
Want an additional 50% off the regular price?
Use the code SAVE50 at checkout through March 31st and you’ll do just that!
I look forward to helping you get back control of your life!